Friday, August 5, 2011

Whose idea was this anyway?!?!

There are several things that I have seen in my lifetime that makes me ask the question, whose idea was this anyway? For instance, Bull Riding. I want to know what cowboy was sitting around a camp fire one night and “bing,” like a light bulb, he decided to tie a Bull’s balls to one end of the rope, hold the other end of the rope in his hand and see how long he can stay on the Bull’s back. How does that happen? No, I mean really, someone please explain that to me. Then out of nowhere the sport takes off like wild fire and you are considered “brave” for doing it. Now I won’t talk bad about the cowboys that partake in this sport, but there has to be a little bit of crazy in their brain….well, maybe more than a little bit.

With that said I, too, am a victim of a crazy idea that has taken off like wild fire. I have a new addiction that I love and hate at the same time. It’s the best thing in the world, and yet, somehow, it’s the worst thing in the world. I have no idea who thought this would be a good idea, but man oh man, do I love it! What is this strange event that I partake in, you ask? Well, it’s Hot Yoga.

For those of you who have not experienced Hot Yoga, it is essentially Yoga done in a room that is heated, typically to a temperature between 106 and 110 degrees Fahrenheit with about 95% humidity. It’s freaking Hot! I know what you skeptics are thinking, how bad can it be… its just yoga? Ummm, no! This is by far, one of the most difficult workouts I have ever done. Not only are you forced to hold positions that your body just wants to fight, but you are quite literally dripping sweat. I move into my down dog (let me give a minute for those of you whose mind is now in the gutter) and all of the sudden my vision is blurred from the salty sweat that has run from my chin into my eye socket. As I move through to my warrior II there is a steady stream of sweat dripping from my elbow.

Down Dog


Warrior II

For those of you who are still skeptical, let me tell you about the macho man who thought the same thing (and no, I am not referring to Andrew, he did quite well in his first hot yoga experience).

As I was sitting in the hell room, as I will refer to it, I was trying to center myself and adjust to the room to get a better workout. About 10 minute before class a young lad walks in wearing sweat pants, a sweat shirt, and a toboggan (aka stocking cap, hat, etc.). Several of the ladies in the class just looked at him and smirked to themselves because we all knew what was about to happen….homie was about to get schooled by a bunch of ladies.

He had a very cocky attitude and several times made comments to his companion about what a joke this would be and how he couldn’t believe he was there. Ha….. my friend….. Ha!

It didn’t take long for his innocence to be taken by the yoga Gods. Within 10 minutes the hat was off. Five after that, there goes the sweatshirt. His was absolutely drenched by the time we started to crocodile, or chaturanga for the yogis (lower a push up to about 2 inches off the ground and hold), which he was unable to hold for longer than 2 seconds. The ladies of the class kept looking at him as he would fall and sigh because he just couldn’t quite get it. I think he lasted a total of 45 minutes and he left. Yes, he left! Just couldn’t hang in there with the big dogs.

Crocodile/Chaturanga


The best feeling in the world is all of us looking at each other and knowing exactly what the other thought “serves him right for thinking this was easy!” Let this serve as a lesson to all you who think Hot Yoga is for the weak! There is one thing that yoga doesn’t tolerate…..and that is an ego!

No comments:

Post a Comment